What to Do With Round Rice: The Recipe Ideas?
Did you know that there are several different names for round white rice? For example, you can buy “dessert rice, “round sushi rice,” or “risotto rice.”These denominations are intended to help consumers to select their type of rice according to the desired culinary preparation.
What Type of Rice for Risotto?
There are two main types of Italian round rice specially intended for the preparation of an organic risotto:
- Vialone nano rice;
- arborio rice.
Both are typical of the rice-growing regions of Piedmont). The second is better known to the general public if the first is more original. Round arborio rice is the most common variety of round rice for risotto, undoubtedly appreciated for its great capacity to absorb cooking water. The grains of Vialone rice is smaller and if you prefer long white rice for risotto instead, no problem. You can buy Baldo rice or Carnaroli rice, real culinary references in Italy.
The Essential Recipe with Round Rice: Rice Pudding!
Don’t worry: we still remember the sweet tooth. How about preparing a succulent rice pudding flavoured with vanilla? This is one of our favourite round rice recipes, and it’s so rich and delicious!
We strongly advise you to choose round rice for dessert; it is essential to have a smooth rice consistency.
To make this incredible ultra-creamy rice pudding for two people:
- Split a vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds.
- Boil 50 cl of organic almond or rice milk in a saucepan with your vanilla pods and seeds. Also, add 20 g of golden cane sugar.
- Rinse 75 g of special round rice for dessert, then add it to the hot vegetable milk.
- Cook your rice pudding over low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is creamy, turn off the heat.
It’s ready! Enjoy your ultra-creamy rice pudding, cold or warm. This vegetable rice pudding recipe is suitable for vegan or lactose-intolerant people. Do not hesitate to replace the vanilla with cinnamon or cardamom if you want to vary the spicy flavours.
Camargue Round Rice Paella
This is the variety of round paella rice: bomba rice. Cultivated in the region of Valencia, it is ideal for the preparation of the famous Spanish savoury dish.
Another possibility: buy Camargue rice, which is also ideal for preparing an excellent homemade paella.
Without further ado, let’s discover the steps for preparing round Camargue rice for paella:
- In a large skillet, sauté a finely chopped onion with a tablespoon of organic olive oil. You can also add red pepper strips.
- Add three cloves of crushed garlic and sauté them until they slightly colour.
- Cut two large tomatoes into small cubes, then pour them into your pan with a teaspoon of tomato puree. Let everything simmer until the mixture reduces.
- Drain 100 to 150 g of shelled or frozen seafood (prawns, squid in rings, mussels, etc.), then pour them into the sauce.
- Rinse 200 g of round Camargue rice, then pour it into your preparation.
- Add water or vegetable broth, opting for the right volume of liquid (depending on the type of round, white or brown rice).
- Add salt, pepper and the spices of your choice: paprika, chilli, curry, turmeric and saffron.
- Let everything cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Stir from time to time to prevent the bottom of your preparation from sticking to the pan.
You won’t find an easier and faster paella recipe!
Round Rice for Sushi
Last round rice recipe to test urgently: homemade sushi or maki.
This time, japonica rice is preferred, and it is glutinous round rice grown in Japan. Otherwise, you will easily find organic sushi rice to make your sweet or savoury make a success.
To prepare the base of your sushi or your maki with Japanese round rice:
- Soak 200 g of round sushi rice for about 1 hour.
- Rinse your rice grains, then pour them into a saucepan.
- Add 20 cl of cold water and cover your pan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to cook the sushi rice (8 to 10 min maximum).
- Turn off your heat, but let your round rice rest in the pan for 10 minutes without removing the lid.
- Pour 3 cl of rice vinegar over your still-hot round rice and mix with a spatula, taking care not to crush the grains.
Your round rice for sushi is finally ready to be rolled! If you’re not a fan of fish or don’t eat it, there are plenty of plant-based filling alternatives. You can even create sweet and savoury make by cutting a few pieces of fruit (watermelon, fig, green apple or pineapple, for example).
Are you a creative mind in the kitchen? Note that sticky round rice can also be used to make a poke bowl.
The principle remains the same for sushi rice: after putting a portion of cooked round rice at the bottom of a bowl, add your garnish. Diced smoked tofu, sweet corn, Edamame beans or Wakame seaweed flakes: you’re the chef. For the final touch, sprinkle your bowl with sesame seeds and add a little soy sauce. A real visual and tasty treat!
Why Rinse Round Rice
One of the most common mistakes when cooking round rice is pouring the grains directly into the water without washing them first. However, this step is crucial if you want to remove any impurities (dust or sand, for example).
In addition, rinsing round rice under a stream of water helps to rid the grains of a good amount of starch. Once cooked, it makes your rice much lighter and, above all, less pasty!
So, roll up your sleeves and rinse your round rice grains several times by following these steps:
- Pour your round rice into a container and add cold tap water. The water level should be higher than the rice.
- Rub the grains with your fingertips.
- When the liquid becomes cloudy, throw it away while taking care to keep your rice in the bottom of your container.
- Repeat this gesture until the water becomes very clear.
- Discard the last rinse water before replacing it with your cooking water.
How to Cook Round Rice
There are several ways to cook round rice:
- The “Creole rice” method is in a pan of cold water without a lid. If necessary, you can drain the rice after cooking.
- The “rice pilaf” method first involves browning the round rice grains in a sauté pan with vegetable oil. Once they become translucent, it is only then that we add a cooking broth.
- Cook in a rice cooker
The cooking time for round rice varies depending on the variety chosen:
- 12 to 15 min for round white rice;
- 20 min for semi-complete round rice;
- 25 min for whole round rice.
All these round rice cooking times are calculated by boiling the water.
Visit the ADNOOR website to get the best long-grain rice, golden Sella basmati rice, brown rice, white rice, Super Kernel Basmati Rice, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. We take pride in saying that we are the Best Basmati rice brand in Canada and have been the importers, exporters, wholesalers, distributors, and co-packers of various nuts and grains in Canada for the last 25 years. So, without wasting time, visit our website and order what you need.